Microwave Popcorn… How could it be bad for you?
Netflix is cued up to your favorite romantic comedy. Your night has been great so far; a healthy dinner and a glass of red wine. But before you press play on this Jennifer Aniston film (or “Game of Thrones” if that’s your go to) you a say to yourself, “What’s a movie without popcorn.”
After all, you’ve turned down the lights, clicked on the surround sound to make it feel like a movie theater already, why not go the extra mile and microwave some popcorn?
Before you throw that bag of chemicals into the microwave let’s just see what’s in it.
WHAT COOL STUFF IS IN YOUR MICROWAVE POPCORN
By cool I mean not cool at all.
Here’s the first round of garbage in microwave popcorn…
Perfluoroalkyls – which include perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS)
Why they’re used – These are chemicals whose purpose is to keep grease from leaking through fast food wrappers. Microwave popcorn bags are laced with PFOA and when heated they bleed onto the popcorn.
What they do to your body – Scientist commonly refer to these chemicals as “gender-bending” chemicals. They disrupt your endocrine system and affect your sex hormones.
Not only do they likely contain carcinogens but The EPA has stated that PFOA “poses developmental and reproductive risks to humans.
Researchers have also linked PFCs to other health dangers, such as:
- Infertility– The journal Hunan Reproduction found that PFCs are linked to a 154% increase in the chance of infertility.
- Thyroid disease– A 2010 study found that those with high PFOA in their bloodstream are 2X more likely to report thyroid disease. A healthy thyroid is essential for nearly every other organ function and it’s essential in the growth and development of children.
- Cancer– PFOA is associated with tumors in 4 different organs (liver, pancreas, testicles and mammary glands) and people who work in PFOA plants have an increased rate of prostate cancer.
- Immune system problems— Several Swedish studies revealed that these chemicals decrease all immune functions.
- Increased BAD cholesterol levels– Another recent study found that children and teens with higher PFOA levels had higher levels of total cholesterol and LDL or “bad” cholesterol.
Ahhh! Think of how many bags you’ve eaten in your life. I’ve had a lot. But I swear, I’ll never eat another.
How can you replace this nasty snack?
Easy. Get The Rebel Nutrition Guide for free right now.
And pledge to me that you’ll never eat this crap again.
If this isn’t enough to drive you away from that dirty bag of popcorn, there’s more.
Here’s the second round of garbage in your microwave popcorn…
This is a list of ingredients in the most popular bags of microwave popcorn from The Foodbabe. Look at all the poison.
Stay away from the microwave popcorn at all costs.
Healthy Garlic Popcorn Recipe
3 Tablespoons of coconut oil
1 Ceramic non-stick pan
Himalayan or sea salt to desired amount.
- Cover pan with lid and heat on medium/high until the kernels stop popping.
- Put in bowl and toss with earth salt and garlic powder.
Are you ready to stop counting calories and eat real natural food. Discover the simple secrets to eating here: